I have no idea how many pairs of shoes I have painted in the 9 odd months that I sold shoes through Etsy, but I think it’s close to a 100 pairs. It is a bit peculiar then, that until now I had never done a pair for myself. Part of it is probably that I can’t wear ALl Stars – they hurt my feet terribly. Another part is that I have yet to develop any inclination to wear my fandoms on my shoes 🙂 I’m more of a T-shirt girl myself (coming up as soon as I figure out how to use my mum’s sewing machine: an upcycled Han Solo T-shirt!).
Now, after painting a 100 pairs of shoes for others, I have finally painted myself a pair. Not inspired by a fandom, but simply by a very vague picture in my mind that I completely failed to reproduce (as always happens with vague mental pictures).
So here is what I did:
- Bought very cheap fake Vans (less than a tenner)
- Tried to project my vague mental image onto the left shoe
- Realised my vague mental image vaguely resembled a cityscape
- Googled cityscapes
- Decided not to bother about about realism but going for a Magritte: dark buildings combined with a daytime sky
- Painted the left shoe
- Bought and added the red ribbons
- Added a Van Gogh-like sky for good measure
- Spent 2 month being too busy with other stuff
- Painted the right shoe with a different sky
- Added another Van Gogh-like sky
And all that resulted in the pair of shoes below. Not quite what I had in mind, but good enough I suppose. At least I’m guaranteed not to run into anyone with the same pair of shoes! 🙂
What do you think? Do you like my new shoes? Got any advice? Have you done something similar with your shoes? Do show me!